PODCAST 152: Renée Jaworski
Release Date: 3.10.23
TO DOWNLOAD PODCAST OR LISTEN:
The Magic of Creativity with Renée Jaworski
Being a successful dance performer requires a combination of technical skills, artistry, professionalism, dedication, and networking. In today’s episode, we sit down with Renée Jaworski, the Executive Director and Co-Artistic Director of the rebellious dance company, Pilobolus, as she shares her experience working there throughout her illustrious 20+ year career and unpacks the magic of creativity, risk, collaboration, artistic expression, and the value of hard work. Hear why she began pursuing dance and being a performer, the lessons she learned working for a company, the emotional struggles of learning the business end of dance, and how she forged ahead in her dance career while also a mother. We discuss how she integrates her various passions into dance, how Pilobolus acts as a gateway to the art form, why you should not take dance too seriously, her upcoming projects, and much more. Tune in, and discover industry insights and the value of pursuing your dreams with Renée Jaworski.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Background about Renée and how she became interested in dance.
- The influence attending the University of the Arts had on her.
- Why she chose to be a performer as opposed to continuing in academia.
- Her experience transitioning from being a student to working for a company.
- How she juggled pursuing a career with raising a family.
- The motivation behind joining the Pilobolus team.
- Find out why she has chosen to stay at Pilobolus for most of her career.
- We discuss Pilobolus’s reputation and the collaboration with the rock band OKGo.
- What it takes to make collaborations work and complete projects.
- The biggest challenges and highlights of her career.
- Learn about her past, current, and exciting upcoming projects.
“As I am getting older I am realizing that the more we can have those role models in place who have [raised a family while working] and want to support people who want to [have a family] the more the art form is going to thrive.” — Renée Jaworski
RENÉE JAWORSKI (Executive Director / Co-Artistic Director) has had an extensive creative career working with Pilobolus since 2000 and in 2011 was honored to have been chosen by the founding Artistic Directors to lead Pilobolus into and beyond it’s post succession evolution. She served as choreographer and creator for exciting projects and collaborations for stage, film and video such as the 79th Annual Academy Awards, the Grammy® nominated video for OKGo’s All is Not Lost, Radiolab Live: In the Dark, World Science Festival; Time and the Creative Cosmos and works with myriad outside artists through the International Collaborators Project, as well as overseeing the daily functioning and longterm planning for the company’s creative endeavors. As a teacher she facilitates workshops and group projects in diverse communities with dancers and non-dancers alike. In 2010, her alma mater honored her with the University of the Arts Silver Star Alumni Award for her work as an artist in the field of dance. She has performed and toured the world with Momix and Carolyn Dorfman Dance Company. Renée lives in Connecticut with her husband and a menagerie of animals.
Upcoming: March 12, 2023 NJPAC Performance + Ticketing
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Podcast produced by: The Moving Architects
Interviewer: Erin Carlisle Norton